Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Odds and Ends

Yesterday was a pretty chill day. Jon went to work, I binged British Netflix, and then we went for dinner and drinks. This post will be some more observational snippets of this fine country.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Right before traffic lights turn from red to green, the yellow light comes on again as a warning. I have often wished for this system to exist, but I didn't realize that it was a thing in other countries. It's very beneficial for jay-walking pedestrians--do I have time to cross? Yes indeed I do, because the yellow light has not come on yet.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Sidewalks seem to be more uneven here. Shoes that don't give me any trouble back home are giving me some guff.
-----------------------------------------------------------
We didn't have hot water for about three days. It was quite unpleasant! I wouldn't have been that upset about it, but when our host was giving us a tour of the flat, he explicitly said that there was never any trouble with the hot water. When he said that I thought, "Well I should hope not, it's 2015 and we're paying you like a bazillion pounds to stay here," and then it turned out to be lies! (I'm sure it wasn't a deliberate lie, I think he got this place fairly recently.) The solution turned out to be pouring more water into the boiler. Of course.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Since British Netflix has different options, we've been exploring new television. I'm enjoying Fresh Meat, a comedy about six university students who miss out on campus housing and end up renting a house together. I've noticed that British TV shows tend to have more diverse casts than American shows. Still overwhelmingly white of course, but definitely an improvement.
-----------------------------------------------------------
We saw this pretty plant the other day:
My mom has informed me that this is a passion flower. Thanks Mom!
Jon promises to write a Google London post soon--stay tuned!

xo
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment