Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Just English Things

Today was pretty low-key, so this post will be some general observations about London life.

I used our microwave for the first time today, and it was much more challenging than expected. You'd think that an appliance whose sole purpose is to be super convenient would be intuitive no matter which country you're in, but no.

These are the buttons on the microwave:

The numbers are different wattages, which is obvious in retrospect, but why would 90 even be an option?? That's like cooking with a damn lightbulb. British children probably don't have Easy-Bake Ovens because they can get the same effect with their regular microwave. Also, after you set the time, it gets to zero and then keeps going for a bit; it doesn't even stop when you hit "stop" or open the door. I ended up microwaving my hand a couple times. So if I come back to the US with another hand growing out of my right hand, you know why.
---------------------------------------------------------------
We went to a restaurant near our flat called Pizzeria on the Green. We got an American Hot pizza, because we are adventurous. It was pretty good--not as good as NYC pizza of course, but solid. Jon ordered a lemonade and got a 7Up. Apparently lemonade is always carbonated here, and it's come to mean 7Up/Sprite/etc. Something else I've noticed about restaurants is that you often get handed a dessert menu without being asked first if you want one. I wonder if this is because English people eat reasonable portions of food and therefor always have room for dessert. Also, it takes a really long time to get your check.
---------------------------------------------------------------
The whole cars driving on the left thing makes being a pedestrian a bit more confusing. Fortunately, all of the intersections help you out:


We wonder how many tourists had to get hit by cars before that became a thing.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I get carded here a lot more than I do in NY. I had a conversation about it with a Tesco cashier who was skeptical that I was able to buy beer; after I gave her my ID she said, "You must get asked for ID a lot," and I told her more so here than at home, which is funny because the drinking age is lower here (18). She told me that here they're told to ask anyone who looks 25 or younger. I'm pretty sure that's the rule in NYC too, people just can't be bothered.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Our groceries never get double-bagged, even if our groceries are really heavy. Apparently they like the environment more over here.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow I'm going to check out a craft beer store in the neighborhood. The Tube strike ends at 6:30 tomorrow, so we may check out the London Eye that night.

Also, I know that sometimes the formatting of posts is gross to look at. It is because Blogspot is finicky; sorry about that!

xo
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment